Saturday, November 20, 2010

2010 Gratitude Challenge - Nov 20


I've been invited to post daily something that I am grateful for throughout the month of November.  This is the 2010 Gratitude Challenge.



Today I am thankful for my ability to homeschool.  That is a loaded statement.  There are so many facets to my thankfulness.

I am thankful that I was trained as an elementary education teacher in college even thought I don't use much of what they taught me back then (classroom management, parental communication, managing a classroom, etc.) 

I am thankful that I am legally allowed to teach my children in my own home on our own schedule using a Mastery Education format that allows me to fly through lessons of stay on troublesome lessons longer if needed.  I am thankful that my particular state requires me to put in a certain amount of hours but then makes it illegal for anyone in the neighboring school districts or within the state to come and require me to justify anything I do.  Not that I take advantage of this as I think many of my homeschooling choices are quite academically advanced but I am thankful that I am accountable to myself, my husband, my children and my Lord and no one else.

I am thankful that we have been able to keep curriculum purchases pretty minimal and have worked really hard to minimize the excess and unneeded busy work which ends up costing us money down the line.

I am thankful that both my husband and I have advanced degrees and have not only the knowledge base but the experience educating others.  It IS different teaching your own children and I do believe that anyone can do it but I am thankful that our backgrounds make this easier.

I am thankful that my husband has a job that allows us the flexibility for me to no longer work outside of the house so that I can educate my children as well as better manage my home, our homestead produce and cover for Hubby when he doubles at work as the animal keeper.

I am thankful that I have grown as a person over the years, have a thick skin and am strong (almost belligerent) about my convictions and what I feel is right for myself and my family.  Being the family advocate is not for the thin skinned or the weak backboned.  Being the family cheerleader and advocate means you KNOW why you are doing what you are doing, you KNOW it is the right choice for you and you have sat down and thought upon what your answers will be when you are countered.  I've only had to stand my ground a couple of times but I was able to do so in a well researched, knowledgeable, thoughtful, yet kind way that communicated that we have thought through our decisions and will will neither be swayed in our choices nor will we be convinced that we are doing our children any injustices. 


Most importantly, I am thankful that my children are showing more and more excitement about school and learning and about MOMMY being the teacher.  It is a true joy to see excitement when things are tough and to watch older child start to teach younger child the ways of the world and education.  I LOVE the happy perks of homeschooling.  I am so glad we chose this life.

1 comments:

Our Village is a Little Different said...

I don't think there are words for me to tell you haw grateful I am to be able to homeschool. I love being able to teach my boys the way that suits them best. Every day I watch their confidence improve. It's so neat then I see them light up over things that interest them. We have so much freedom to take the "WOW!" subjects as far as they'd like, and still keep up with the compulsory items.

Related Posts with Thumbnails